A "Dragon Boat Festival" Is Coming To Brampton Very Soon
Summer is finally here! And, many of us are looking for a way to spend time outdoors.
Well, the Brampton Malayalee Samajam is hosting a boat race very soon.
On August 24 at Professor’s Lake, 1660 North Park Drive, the organization is putting on a variety of dragon-type boat races from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Brampton Boat Race includes a water procession, entertainment and races to win a trophy and a cash price.
“The Brampton Malayalee Samajam is a cultural organization whose mandate is to promote cultural, educational and social activities so that the group’s heritage and artistic history can be preserved and fostered," says Kurian Prakkanam, president and organizer of Brampton Boat Race.
The Brampton Boat Race imitates the traditional boat races that have long been observed in Kerala, India. The festivities will also be inspired by the original festivities that took place in the city.
“Huge crowds gathered to watch the races and people were thrilled by the magnificent fiesta that brought alive the tranquil backwaters,” says Prakkanam.
The boat race is open to all communities and groups who register before the race. Each team should consist of 11 members. To register your team, email: info [at] bramptonboatrace [dot] ca.
Will you be attending the Brampton Boat Race?
- A Peel police officer has been charged with sexual assault
- Firearm located after traffic stop closes 410 in Brampton
- Lanes closed on 410 due to police investigation in Brampton
- Police identify woman allegedly killed by former partner in suspected murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- Police searching for Brampton man following shooting and robbery at adult entertainment facility