A New Text Message Scam is Targeting People in Brampton and Beyond
If you suddenly receive a text message informing you that you have a little extra money coming your way, you might want to be skeptical and check the source.
It appears a new scam is fooling some residents in Mississauga and surrounding areas.
Alectra Utilities, a utility company that serves residents in Alliston, Aurora, Barrie, Beeton, Brampton, Bradford, Hamilton, Markham, Mississauga, Penetanguishene, Richmond Hill, St. Catharines, Thornton, Tottenham and Vaughan, is alerting customers of a scam that's been circulating in its substantial service area.
Alectra says the scheme involves customers receiving fraudulent texts from anonymous numbers claiming to be Alectra Utilities employees. The texts falsely inform customers that they have a credit from the utility. Customers are then prompted to follow a link that redirects them to choose their financial institution.
This type of scam is commonly known as a phishing scam, as it tricks people into voluntarily giving up personal and financial information to a third-party who is purporting to be from a legitimate organization.
Alectra Utilities is reminding customers that it never sends credit alerts via text message. In the event customers receive a suspicious text message, Alectra Utilities advises the following:
- Do not click on any of the links within the text message
- Do not provide any personal information, including Alectra Utilities or credit card account numbers.
- Contact Alectra Utilities’ Customer Service department during regular business hours to report the incident.
If you believe you may be a victim of fraud or theft, contact police to report the incident.
- Premier Doug Ford reveals Brampton is "hot spot" for COVID-19
- Brampton issues 56 additional physical distancing fines amid COVID-19 outbreak
- No mask, no service? Businesses have the right to require masks on customers
- Ontario says more heath providers can reopen including dentists, optometrists
- $15M Lotto ticket sold in Brampton
- Utility company warning Brampton residents to beware of sophisticated phone scam
- People Warned to Beware of Scam Targeting Brampton Residents
- Alectra Utilities says it will offer financial flexibility during COVID-19 outbreak
- A New Hydro Phone Scam is Targeting Brampton Residents
- SCAM ALERT: Banking Text Message Scam Picking Up Steam