A Severe Weather Watch is in Effect for Brampton
Grab a jacket and be ready to take cover.
Environment and Climate Change Canada has issued a severe thunderstorm watch for Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton Hills, Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga.“Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain,” reads the watch issued at 1:15 p.m. Thursday.
"The threat of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and early this evening is associated with a cold front moving across Southern Ontario. Thunderstorms are also possible well in advance of the front."
Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles.
Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.
Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes.
Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year.
Life hack: When thunder roars, go indoors.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management recommends that you take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches.
- Two Maple Leaf Foods workers at two Ontario plants test positive for COVID-19
- City of Brampton issues eight physical distancing fines
- SIU investigating fatal shooting of 26-year-old-man in Brampton
- City of Brampton requesting help from foreign-trained doctors amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Pedestrian in life-threatening condition after being struck by a vehicle in Brampton