Beware of This Phone Call Scam Targeting Residents in Brampton and Beyond
You’ll want to stay vigilant as a potentially dangerous phone call scam is victimizing people in Brampton and beyond.
The Electrical Safety Authoriy (ESA) has reported a potential phone scam for electricity customers across the Greater Toronto Area.
Basically, the ESA has received some reports of consumers receiving calls from representatives of a company, saying that a mandatory electrical inspection is required at their household.
“These calls are not from the Electrical Safety Authority,” said the ESA in a statement. “The Electrical Safety Authority does not call to set up inspections or ask for personal information if no recent electrical work has been done in your home.”
That being said, you should keep in mind the ESA is the only organization authorized by the province to enforce electrical safety regulations. Any other company does not have that authority.
If you think you’re receving scam phone calls, you can report them here.
Thankfully, there are a few precautions you can take if someone shows up at your door claiming to be an electrical safety inspector. Two main things you can do, according to the ESA, are:
- Look for the ESA’s logo on the vehicle they arrive in
- Ask to see the inspectors’ identification - they should always be carrying photo ID
If you want to read more about the ESA’s procedures, click here.
But if you haven’t had any recent electrical work done, chances are you won’t be getting an inspection from the ESA.
Be alert, Brampton!
- 11-year-old from Brampton hoping to win this season’s grand prize for America’s Got Talent
- Two Brampton man face charges after woman is struck by car
- Police investigating robbery at gunpoint in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 22
- Here’s how much detached house prices have risen in Brampton in just one year
- A New Hydro Phone Scam is Targeting Brampton Residents
- Major phone scam affecting Brampton; residents warned not to call back
- An Ongoing Phone Call Scam is Targeting People in Brampton and Beyond
- Utility company warning Brampton residents to beware of sophisticated phone scam
- Electrical Fire on Plane at Pearson Airport