Brampton and Ryerson University sign agreement to bring Innovation Zone to the city
The City of Brampton is reaching an exciting milestone for postsecondary education in the city after it has signed an agreement with Ryerson University to establish the Ryerson Innovation Zone in the city’s downtown core.
The Ryerson-led Brampton Innovation Zone is connected to and modelled after Ryerson University's world-recognized Zone network, which are spaces designed to bring people together, enable brainstorming, kickstart projects and help take startups in early stages to established businesses.
It will focus on the development of scalable businesses in the city of Brampton as well as building and supporting high potential entrepreneurial teams.
"This is an exciting moment for Brampton and our continuing partnership with Ryerson University. This Innovation Zone takes us one step closer to a fully developed Innovation Ecosystem, which supports entrepreneurs at every stage of their journey,” said Mayor Patrick Brown.
“We are committed to working on all possible options and partnerships to address the needs of Brampton students, entrepreneurs and the future workforce. We have a great partner in Ryerson University and are thankful for their collaborative spirit. We look forward to many more years of the same."
The Innovation Zone will provide thought leadership and access to national and international markets, extend business infrastructure, support the Brampton 2040 Vision through building a City of Opportunities, develop, attract and retain local talent and create and nurture a network of influencers from all sectors in business, academia and government.
The city of Brampton is currently putting all the necessary pieces together to support a strong innovation ecosystem.
“The Ryerson Innovation Zone in Brampton will help foster ideas and connect entrepreneurs with various organizations in the region, while equipping them with the critical thinking and problem-solving skills needed to succeed and thrive in the modern economy,” said Mohamed Lachemi, President and Vice-Chancellor, Ryerson University.
It will open in early 2020 and will be a new addition to Brampton's Innovation District, which includes Rogers Cybersecure Catalyst, Brampton Entrepreneur Centre (Ideation and Co-working space), Ryerson-Brampton Innovation Zone (Start-Up Incubator), the site for the City's future Centre for Innovation and a scale-up incubator.
- Traffic study identifies most dangerous streets in Brampton
- Peel region’s top doctor says Brampton is not ready to reopen due to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Allegedly impaired driver involved in collision in Brampton
- Impaired driver smashes into tree in Brampton
- House of the Week: $1.4 Mil Bungalow With Incredible Bar
- Council approves funding to relocate research centre to Brampton's Innovation District
- Here's What Ryerson University is Bringing to Brampton
- Ryerson, Algoma and Sheridan present medical school proposal to Brampton council
- Ryerson's Chang School and the City of Brampton Partner to Address In-Demand Skills Needed in the Cybersecurity Field
- This Prestigious University Is Bringing Courses to Brampton