Metrolinx Proposing To Demolish Four Historic Brampton Homes To Build Parking Lot

 

Metrolinx has asked Brampton City Council to demolish four historic homes to allow for the redevelopment of the Go/VIA Station's Brampton South Lot into a temporary paved parking lot, with plans for a mixed-use transit-oriented development.

The four homes, 30 Nelson Street West, 46 Elizabeth Street North, 50 Elizabeth Street North, and 5 Railroad Street, have met the criteria of to become Provincial Heritage Property and are currently listed on the City of Brampton Municipal Register of Cultural Heritage Resources

With the space, Metrolinx aims to increase parking spaces to meet the current parking capacity demands and future intensification objectives at the current GO Station.

Located at 30 Nelson Street West, the home is a two-storey building comprised of two square plans offset from each other, both with a low-pitched roof. There is also a detached garage at the rear end of the property. The property is currently under private ownership. The home is associated with the Haggert family (one of the earliest settlers and founder of Brampton’s largest business) as well as Brampton's settlement. Built-in the 1800s, the 30 Nelson Street West property is one of the earliest buildings in the area.

The home at 46 Elizabeth Street North is a two-storey, red brick building with a low-pitched, hipped roof. The building was constructed in 1895 as a single residence. There is also a detached garage at the rear of the property. The property is currently privately owned.

The property at 50 Elizabeth Street North is a two-storey, gable-roofed building with a roughcast finish. The building was constructed between 1870 and 1880 as a single-family residence. The property is also currently under private ownership. The property is located in an area originally owned by George Wright, a prominent local businessman who was instrumental in bringing the GTR to Brampton and a subdivision in central Brampton.

Located at 5 Railroad Street, the home is a one-and-a-half-storey residence with wood construction, red brick veneer and a single, detached garage. The residence was constructed between 1882 and 1886 as a single-family residence. It is currently privately owned.

According to Metrolinx’s plan, all properties on the Brampton South Lot would be demolished and the site would be transformed into a paved surface parking lot to accommodate GO customer demand for parking at the Brampton GO/Via Rail Station. Further, this phase will address and lessen the impact of parking displacement from a potential new Ryerson University Brampton Campus on Metrolinx's north parking lot.

In the second phase, the Brampton South Lot and surrounding area would be transformed into a mixed-use transit-oriented development with an accompanying retail space.

The city aims to increase Brampton’s Urban Growth Centers and Mobility Hubs and increase rail service across the entire Metrolinx Transit Network.

Do you think these homes should be demolished?

Your Comments