Brampton Fires Contractor After Major Community Centre Expansion Delays
The Gore Meadows Community Centre and Library expansion and opening is facing delays once again, this time due to unreasonable delays from the contractor.
Though the bulk of work is done on the 80,000 square foot addition (aka. Phase Two) to Gore Meadows, the City has fired Bondfield Construction.
“While some delays can be expected on any construction project of this size, scope and complexity, the extent of the delays at Gore Meadows has been unreasonable,” said the City of Brampton in a statement.
The contractor can no longer work on the site, effective immediately.
When complete, the full site will span a whopping 240 acres and include an outdoor skating rink, a spray pad, and a park rivalling the size of Chinguacousy Park.
According to the City, staff are working to get the facility open to the public at the earliest opportunity.
“The City intends to hire a new contractor as soon as possible,” the City told inbrampton.com.
That said, the delays on this project have been extensive. Most recently, a notice went up on the City’s website saying the project was delayed near the end of 2017.
Notably, there was also - understandably - a few months of delay in 2015 when a Forma-Con construction worker was killed onsite due to a dangerous crane.
For now, the city anticipates it will release more information, including an anticipated opening date, within the next few weeks.
For those who currently use the facility, this won’t affect you.
“All programming will proceed as normal,” said the City. “Fitness members at Gore Meadows will be contacted directly to discuss impacts to temporary memberships.”
The City is spending at estimated $37 million on the Gore Meadows expansion project.
- DISTURBING CONTENT: Peel Police Investigating Vandalized Sign In Brampton
- Lanes Blocked Following Three-Vehicle Collision in Brampton
- MISSING: Police Looking for 11 Year Old Girl in Brampton
- Suspect Arrested Following Criminal Harassment Investigation in Brampton
- Brampton Will Ban U-turns at 3 High Risk Locations
- Massive Gore Meadows Community Centre and Library Expansion Delayed
- PHOTOS: A Sneak Peek Inside Gore Meadows Community Centre Phase 2
- Here's What's Happening With the Gore Meadows Community Centre Expansion
- Brampton's Getting a First of its Kind Outdoor Skating Rink
- Company Facing Huge Fine After Worker Killed by Crane at Brampton Community Centre