Brampton joins global climate initiative
On November 13, 2019, Mayor Patrick Brown signed a declaration officially marking Brampton's inclusion into the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy (GCoM).
This is a first-of-its-kind global alliance made up of more than 9,200 cities that are leading the fight against climate change.
The City of Brampton is among one of 25 Canadian municipalities that were selected to join Showcase Cities, a pilot project led by GCoM Canada.
In this project, the City will receive intensive support in order to assist in reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and adapting to climate change at no charge, over the next year.
In June 2019, City Council set a target to reduce GHGs in Brampton by 80 per cent by 2050.
Brampton is taking many steps in order to achieve that target, which include the development of a Community Energy and Emissions Plan (CEERP) in partnership with Sheridan College.
Once completed in early 2020, this plan will include targets for energy-efficient homes and buildings, producing cleaner, affordable and more reliable energy, growing Brampton's transit network, trails, and bike infrastructure, more walkable neighbourhoods along with home and business retrofits and district energy nodes.
Work is also taking place, in partnership with Sheridan College and the Region of Peel, to establish an Institute for Sustainable Brampton, recommended by the 2040 Vision and put forward in a February 2019 Council.
Find out more here.
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Multi-vehicle collision in Brampton
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Street race results in car crashing into Brampton home
- City of Brampton encouraging residents to report face-covering infractions
- Police investigating gas station robbery in Brampton
- The City of Brampton Joins Forces With Sheridan College For a Good Cause
- Brampton City Council Releases New Plan To Tackle Climate Emergency
- Brampton City Council Declares Climate Emergency
- Brampton takes big steps to battle city's climate emergency
- How Much Energy Did Brampton Conserve For Earth Hour?