Brampton Man Arrested for Selling Fake Smartphones on Kijiji
Hamilton Police have charged a man who they say was involved in selling fake phones on Kijiji.
Around 8:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 2, police say a Hamilton resident attended a parking lot at 970 Upper Wentworth in Hamilton to purchase a new Samsung Galaxy Note9 for $650.
“A lone male suspect handed over what appeared to be a newly packaged phone,” police say. “Shortly after the seller’s departure, the buyer realized they had bought a non-operational phone.”
Later, police identified a second victim who met up with the same suspect at 801 Mohawk Road West in Hamilton and paid $700 for a new iPhone XR, only to find out it was also non-operational.
Officers investigated and located the suspect at a Brampton residence.
The 20 year old Brampton man (name not disclosed by police) was arrested and charged with two counts of fraud under $5000.
He has been released and is expected to attend John Sopkina Court House in Hamilton on April 23, 2019.
Police ask residents to be cautious when making online purchases, saying “if a purchase appears too good to be true it probably is.”
- Police investigate possible kidnapping of a female in Brampton
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 14 to 19
- Ontario reports 365 new COVID-19 cases in past 24 hours, one new death
- UPDATE: Police say Saturday night incident in Brampton wasn't kidnapping; continuing to investigate
- Planning for this transformative Brampton project now underway
- Young Brampton Male Arrested in Relation to Murder in Hamilton
- Hamilton youth arrested in connection to fatal stabbing of Peel man
- Brampton Man Killed in Hamilton Shooting
- WANTED: Hamilton Police looking for young Peel man in connection to Airbnb shooting
- Brampton woman involved in single-car crash in Hamilton that sent girl to hospital