Brampton Man Charged in Fake Report Card Scam
A Brampton man is facing charges in connection with an investigation involving bogus report cards.
A number of Peel high schools received fake report cards from students enrolled at a private learning academy, say Peel police.
The suspect fraudulently used the name of a legitimate private school called the Canadian Higher Learning Academy for his own purposes, police allege, creating a fake website and taking money from unsuspecting students.
The man would then create bogus report cards and send them to secondary schools and the Ontario University Application Centre on behalf of the students.
“The fraudulent website has since been taken down,” said Const. Bally Saini.
Pavanjit Sohal, 28, was arrested on July 5 and charged with defrauding the public.
He was released on a promise to appear.
His next scheduled court date is July 31.
Investigators believe there may be more victims who haven’t come forward and are requesting they contact police.
These fraudulent report cards have now put the students' post-secondary education enrolment for fall 2017 in jeopardy as the credit(s) will no longer be accepted.
Police are reminding residents the Canadian Higher Learning Academy is a private school approved by the Ontario Ministry of Education and this is their proper website for enrolment.
Anyone with information is asked to contact fraud investigators at (905) 453-2121 ext. 3353 or CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
- Employee at Brampton FreshCo. tests positive for COVID-19
- Brampton woman identified as Hamilton murder victim
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 24
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 24
- These are the pharmacies offering COVID-19 tests in Brampton
- Here's how teacher job action will affect report cards in Brampton
- Huge Changes to Curriculum and Report Cards Coming to Schools in Brampton
- Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report
- This Online Private School Provides Great Alternative to Ontario Public School System
- Pandemic, labour disruptions raise questions about 2020 report cards