Brampton Named a Bicycle Friendly Community
With spring in full swing and summer just around the corner, the ideal weather for riding a bike is upon us!
While cycling is both fun and excellent exercise, it can be hard to enjoy leisurely bike rides in bustling cities like Brampton, as one must navigate busy streets before making it to serene parks and green spaces.
That said, it looks like cyclists in Brampton are pretty fortunate.
The Share the Road Cycling Coalition recently recognized Brampton through its Bicycle Friendly Community awards with Bronze status.
A Bronze Bicycle Friendly Community designation means that a community has taken the first steps to becoming a great place to ride a bike.
In case you were unaware, the city has made the following commitments to building a bicycle-friendly community:
- Established the Brampton Cycling Advisory Committee to provide advice on cycling matters in Brampton, support cycling legislation and policies, and provide input to the city on delivering cycling programming and infrastructure.
- Added an Active Transportation Project Manager to lead a team to develop and implement active transportation initiatives, such as increasing cycling opportunities and spaces in Brampton.
- Prepared an Active Transportation Master Plan, which outlines a strategy for building a cycling and pedestrian network across the City.
- Created Community Rides, a series of free cycling tours for residents and visitors to explore Brampton.
"Brampton will continue work to improve and advance opportunities for cycling. Making it easier to walk and cycle in Brampton supports the strategic plan vision for a connected city that is innovative, inclusive and bold and is a fundamental element for building complete communities," said Regional Councillor Martin Medeiros, member of the Cycling Advisory Committee.
Brampton has joined other municipalities in working towards Ontario's goal of being the best jurisdiction to ride a bike in Canada and its efforts make a lot of sense given the health and environmental benefits of cycling.
If you want to enjoy this weekends brisk weather on a bike, check out some choice trails here.
- Skies will be clear in Brampton for optimal Perseid meteor shower viewing
- Passengers aboard several early-August flights to Pearson test positive for COVID-19
- Vehicle rolls over on Brampton intersection
- Feds transitioning Canadians from CERB to Employment Insurance
- Stormwater charges on this month's water bills now in effect for Brampton residents