Brampton Personal Support Worker Charged with Fraud
Halton Regional Police Three District Criminal Investigation Bureau have arrested and charged a Brampton woman for allegedly committing fraud against an elderly victim.
As a result of the accused's actions her employment had been suspended pending the outcome of the HRPS investigation.
Joelene Thompson, 33, is facing one charge of fraud over $5000 and one charge of uttering a forged document.
These incidents occurred between May 18th 2018 and June 11th 2018.
Prevention Tip: Halton Residents who have Personal Support Workers into their homes should be aware of their Personal Support Worker's identity, and have a detailed schedule from the company providing care. Most companies and personal Support Workers providing support in the home, unless specifically contracted to do so, are mandated to not complete any financial transactions, purchase items, or use the financial cards or cheques belonging to the patient or client receiving care. Payments for services go directly to the company, who in turn pays the employee. If you have Personal Support Workers into your home, all valuables and financial items should be properly secured. Any financial transactions agreed to should be accompanied with an itemized receipt.
Persons who are Power of Attorney for their family members should complete regular audits of the family member's finances and be aware of large, uncommon withdrawals from their accounts.
If you have PSW's into your home, all valuables and financial items should be properly secured.
Halton Police contact: Detective Constable Derek Gray of the Burlington Criminal Investigations Bureau - Seniors Liaison Team at 905-825-4747 ext. 2344.
Please be reminded that all persons charged are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers "See Something? Hear Something? Know Something? Contact Crime Stoppers" at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca.
- Riya Rajkumar's Mother Speaks Out After Daughter's Death
- More Schools in Hold and Secure After Phone Threat in Brampton
- Attempted Child Abduction Under Investigation in Brampton
- Two Schools in Lockdown Following Threatening Phone Calls in Brampton
- UPDATE: Extra Police Presence Around Brampton Schools Following Phone Threats
- Brampton Woman Charged in Connection With Social Media Scam
- Brampton Woman Charged in GTA Fraud Case Targeting Banks
- Brampton Residents Charged After Allegedly Ripping Off Government Services
- Brampton Woman Charged in Oakville and Burlington Purse Thefts
- Do You Know How to Protect Your Personal Information?