Brampton principal temporarily removed for 'xenophobic and racist' remark
A Brampton school employee has been temporarily removed from their position as principal after making a comment that was “xenophobic” and “racist.”
According to a letter by Peter Joshua, director of education with the board, on the school website, Julie DeMaeyer, a principal at Central Peel Secondary School in Brampton, has been “temporarily removed” from her position after a comment she made during a staff meeting.
“In a discussion related to the placement of students in regional programs, Principal DeMaeyer made a comment that was xenophobic and racist,” said Joshua in the letter.
According to the letter, DeMaeyer apologized for the remark after immediately recognizing that her statement was hurtful and discriminatory.
“Discriminatory remarks are upsetting and hurtful, and never acceptable,” stated Joshua.
“As outlined in the Peel board’s Safe and Accepting Schools Policy 48, we must always honour the rights of others by “refraining from actions that may be motivated by bias, prejudice or hate against identifiable groups.”
The Peel District School Board (PDSB) is currently conducting an investigation.
An Acting Principal will be placed at Central Peel while the investigation is underway and an outcome has been determined.
- Road closed due to collision between car and truck in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 22
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 21
- Ontario rolls out massive flu shot campaign in bid to keep hospitals from overflowing amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 21
- Temporary Director of Education appointed in response to racism concerns at Peel District School Board
- Council of Canadian Muslims calls for resignations at Peel District School Board
- Peel District School Board terminates Brampton school council chair for Islamophobic tweet
- Peel District School Board provides update on when and how Brampton students will return to school
- Peel District School Board under review following racism and human rights complaints