Brampton Ranks as One of Least Safe Cities to Drive In
You always knew that driving in Brampton could be somewhat perilous—not to mention expensive (Brampton was recently ranked Ontario’s most expensive city for car insurance)—but did you know that it’s actually one of the top 20 least safe cities to drive in in all of Canada?
According to Allstate’s recent Safe Driving Study, Brampton is in the top (perhaps bottom is a better descriptor) 20 when it comes to the frequency of collision claims.
It comes in at number six, boasting a collision claim rate of 7.61 per cent—up nine per cent from 2015.
Brampton comes in at 88 on a list of 93 cities ranked from safest to least safe.
The least safe city on Allstate’s list?
Halifax is at the very bottom of the ranking, with Ajax, North York, Scarborough and Caledon rounding out the bottom five.
The safest cities to drive in? Hanmer, Ont., Spruce Grove, Alta., Chelmsford, Ont., Lethbridge, Alta. and Medicine Hat, Alta.
But while the news certainly isn’t good for drivers, Brampton isn’t alone when it comes to increasing collision frequency.
“Despite improvements in certain regions, the latest Allstate Insurance Company of Canada Safe Driving Study has found that collisions are still on the rise across Canada, with an overall increase of 2.5 per cent in frequency since the previous period studied,” Allstate wrote in the report.
“The 2017 study also found that the most severe collisions during the last period can be attributed to incidents involving pedestrians and cyclists, while the second-most severe type of collision was head-on collisions.”
Allstate points out that while the collision frequency rate was not the highest in Ontario, it was the only province to report an overall increase in its collision frequency rate - up 4.7 per cent since last year.
Interestingly enough, Allstate says that over the past five years, the day of the year with the highest number of collisions in Ontario is February 12.
- Driver stopped for going more than double the speed limit in Brampton
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- Houses in Brampton significantly more expensive than they were just one year ago
- Many Canadians concerned about returning to their office
- Suspended driver allegedly caught with firearm during traffic stop in Brampton
- Here's Where Brampton Ranks on the List of Safest and Most Dangerous Driving Cities
- Allstate Canada providing financial compensation for customers amid pandemic
- What is the Least Safe City in Canada?
- Brampton Ranked Ontario's Most Expensive City for Car Insurance Again
- Here's Where Brampton Ranks on the List of Canada's Most Dangerous Cities