Brampton Residents Set to Save a Little on Hydro Bills
If you've often complained about unspeakable hydro bills (and you're not alone if you have), you might be happy to hear that your hydro bill will be a little lower.
But only a little.
On Monday, Jan. 16, electric utility company Alectra was unveiled by Enersource, Horizon Utilities and PowerStream officials in Mississauga. The aforementioned companies will now merge and operate as the newly-minted Alectra, effective Feb. 1. The company will purchase Hydro One Brampton and absorb it on Feb. 28.
The company will serve nearly one million customers in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.
Alectra is now the second largest municipally-owned electric utility by customer base in North America, second only to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
The newly consolidated giant will operate within a 1,800 square kilometre service territory comprised of 15 communities, including Alliston, Aurora, Barrie, Beeton, Brampton, Bradford, Hamilton, Markham, Mississauga, Penetanguishene, Richmond Hill, St. Catharines, Thornton, Tottenham and Vaughan.
In terms of savings, the merger should help residents save $40 per year on bills over the next 10 years.
Ideally, the creation of Alectra will result in savings, improved reliability and power quality and increased investment in innovation and technologies.
“The launch of Alectra is a win-win for both electricity ratepayers and for municipalities in communities across the region,” said Glenn Thibeault, Ontario Minister of Energy. “It will result in an improved company that is better positioned to serve customers who will also benefit from savings on electricity rates. I am pleased that each of the municipalities involved recognized these benefits, and I hope more municipal leaders across Ontario will follow their lead.”
Well $40 a year isn't a lot, it's at least better than a $40 increase?
- Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Brampton
- Police responding to reports of man sitting in middle of road in Brampton
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- Brampton resident celebrating a big lotto win
- Ontario to announce plans for Stage 3 of reopening as COVID-19 spread slows
- A Brand New Electricity Company has Come to Brampton
- Alectra introduces new rates for Time-of-Use customers
- Alectra Utilities says it will offer financial flexibility during COVID-19 outbreak
- Utility company warning Brampton residents to beware of sophisticated phone scam
- Ontario Hydro Bills Allegedly Will Increase Over Next Decade