Brampton School Introduces Exciting New Program
There may be more opportunity for school kids to get into basketball next year.
According to a recent press release, Peel District School Board announced they will enter into a partnership agreement with Excel Hoops to offer a basketball preparation (prep) program.
Beginning September 2019, the basketball prep program will be offered at Turner Fenton Secondary School and will be geared towards top-level student athletes who train year-round in basketball.
The program will be geared towards top-level student athletes who train year-round in basketball. In its inaugural year, Excel Hoops are expected to form two junior teams with 28 student athletes (14 male and 14 female) in grades 9 and 10.
Excel Hoops is a non-profit organization who strives to create leaders in the community, and instill in students a strong work ethic, integrity, and a sense of responsibility to themselves and others. Their team approach combined with their world class player development program ensures that students leave Excel Hoops Prep equipped with the tools to take the next step in their careers.
Players from across and outside of Ontario will be registered as Turner Fenton students as part of the program and will be expected to meet the full academic requirements of their courses and adhere to Turner Fenton’s Code of Conduct.
Students in the prep program will be coached and trained by professional coaches and trainers employed by Excel Hoops, and will not compete in any Region of Peel Secondary School Athletic Association sanctioned games.
Turner Fenton will continue to run a school basketball program team (separate from the prep team) that will compete in ROPSSAA.
Applicants to the Excel Hoops program must apply to Excel Hoops directly, as applications will not be accepted through the PDSB or Turner Fenton.
Excel Hoops will host an information night on Jan. 23, 2019, for parents and prospective players to ask questions and learn about everything the program will offer.
Tryouts will be held on Jan. 27, 2019, for the boys’ team and Jan. 29, 2019, for the girls’ team.
For more information and to apply for the prep program, click here.
Cover photo courtesy of Excel Hoops.
- Grocery store employee in Brampton tests positive for COVID-19
- BREAKING: AMBER Alert issued for two girls last seen in Kitchener
- Brampton raid part of large fentanyl bust
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 28
- Brampton Non-Profit Organization Launches Free Mental Health Basketball Program
- School Board Is Launching This New Program To Help Students Living In Poverty
- Brampton Councillor Says Doug Ford's Cuts Forced Him to Cancel Basketball Program
- Brampton Student Accepted Into Prestigious Medical Research Program
- New skilled trades program to open at Brampton school