Brampton Students Set to Compete for Start-up Cash
Some high school students from Brampton are representing hardcore at a competition against students province-wide for a chance at cash and eternal glory.
Or, at least, some major clout, start-up funds, and mentorship through the province.
On April 30, 2018, just after 3 p.m., three Brampton high school students will pitch their entrepreneurial ideas to a live audience and panel as part of the Discovery 2018 conference in Toronto against 17 other students from across Ontario.
Those students are:
- Raquel Goka for the company R.A.C.K.S. (St. Roch Catholic Secondary School)
- Haris Kamal for the company GameFind (North Park Secondary School)
- Aaliyan Khan for the company The Positivity Project (Brampton Centennial Secondary School)
The 20 high school entrepreneurs are competing for up to $3,000 in start-up funds and entrepreneurial mentorship through Ontario’s Summer Company program.
Only six winners will be chosen.
All of the entrepreneurs are getting some training on April 29 at a one-day boot camp at Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE) in Toronto prior to the live pitches.
Making it to Discovery 2018 is no small feat.
These finalists were chosen from over 200 video submissions through an online voting system and judges’ scores.
“Named Canada’s Best Trade Show in 2010, 2011, 2016, and 2017 and celebrating 13 years of bold, new ideas, OCE’s Discovery is Canada’s premier innovation showcase,” reads a recent statement from OCE.
“It brings together the best and brightest minds in industry, academia, investment and government to showcase leading-edge technologies, best practices and research in the areas of energy, fintech, cleantech, the environment, advanced health, digital media, information and communication technologies and advanced manufacturing. The annual conference and showcase attracts more than 3,600 attendees and over 500 exhibitors.”
Of course, judging matters when it comes to such a major pitch competition. Who’s judging?
- Yvonne Pilon, President, CEO, WEtech Alliance - Moderator
- Elizabeth Audette-Bourdeau, Co-Founder, CEO, Welbi
- Kristian Borghesan, Co-Founder, Head of Growth & Marketing, Bruha
- Moufeed Kaddoura, Co-Founder, CEO, ExVivo
- Ami Shah, Co-Founder, CEO, Peekapak
- LATEST: Ontario and Brampton COVID-19 numbers as of April 5, 2020
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Crews on scene for fire at abandoned Brampton residence
- Troops hit the road to prepare for fight against COVID-19
- Physical distancing fine issued in Brampton after backyard party
- Here's what day you're asked to apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit
- Ontario's high school teachers withdrawing services from select school boards this Tuesday
- School Board Is Launching This New Program To Help Students Living In Poverty
- Students Planning Walkouts to Protest Provincial Government Education Changes in Brampton
- Brampton Students Set to Participate in Important Competition
- Brampton School Recognized for Supporting Students With Special Needs