Brampton to expand its marriage service offerings
by Lucy Mazzucco on November 6, 2019
The city of Brampton is making changes to its marriage service offerings to expand and become more accessible beginning on December 1, 2019.
The Canadian Citizenship Card and Landed Immigrant Document will be accepted as a form of primary identification in addition to other existing primary documents.
French Canadian-issued government ID and divorce certificates will be accepted even without an English translation. Without a full translation, no other French-only documents will be accepted.
Provincial health cards and SIN cards will not be accepted as identification to apply for a marriage licence, in accordance with the Office of the Registrar General and consistent with municipal processes across the province.
Brampton has issued 2,852 marriage licences to date in 2019, and during peak months (between May and August), they issued 15 marriage licences daily.These changes, which meet provincial requirements set out by the Office of the Registrar General, will serve to align Brampton’s marriage service offerings with those of surrounding municipalities.It will also make the process even more accessible to applicants.These changes also meet provincial requirements set out by the Office of the Registrar General.
For more information and a detailed list of identification requirements, click here.
The city will also be offering Simple Civil Wedding Ceremonies on Tuesdays.
Starting January 2020, couples who would like a simple, non-religious way to exchange vows can book a Simple Civil Ceremony on Tuesday or Thursday at Brampton City Hall.
Although pre-booking is still required for a Simple Civil Ceremony, it accommodates up to six people (including two witnesses).
For more information about Simple Civil Ceremonies, click here.
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 16
- BREAKING: Social gathering limits to be lowered in Brampton in response to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Student tests positive for COVID-19 at Brampton elementary school
- Victim struck by vehicle in Brampton underground parking lot
- Brampton schools in hold and secure after weapon spotted nearby
- Here's How You and Your Partner Can Have a Free Civil Marriage in Brampton
- City of Brampton now issuing marriage licences by appointment
- Brampton to issue marriage licenses soon on an urgent basis
- Canada Post Unveils Stamp Celebrating Marriage Equality
- Dating Site Releases Interesting Data About Marriage in Brampton