Brampton Woman Killed in New York a Brampton City Employee
On Dec. 23, news broke that police in Syracuse, New York were reporting that a Brampton woman was killed by her boyfriend in a hotel room in upstate New York.
According to a recent Canadian Press article, police have alleged that an American man killed the victim, 44-year-old Michelle Paterson, in a Hampton Inn hotel room and then called 911 to report the murder.
Multiple media sources have now confirmed that the victim was a city of Brampton employee.
Last Friday, the city emailed a statement to Global News that read:
"The City of Brampton's Council and staff would like to convey their deepest sympathies to Michelle's friends and family," the emailed statement to Global News read.
"Michelle was a valued member of her team and will be dearly missed by all of her colleagues at the City of Brampton."
The CP reports that Syracuse police say the suspect, 38-year-old David Schmidinger, called 911 around 11 a.m. on Thursday (Dec. 22) and told a dispatcher he killed his girlfriend and was waiting for the police.
According to Global News, court documents have revealed that nvestigators believe Schmidinger struck Paterson in the head with a brick "several times" before strangling her.
The CP reports that Schmidinger had a long-term off-and-on relationship with the victim. He has pleaded not guilty to a second degree murder charge.
- Brampton intersection closed after vehicle flipped over, traffic light knocked down
- What's Open and Closed Canada Day in Brampton
- Overnight shots fired in Brampton
- Two arrested for string of distraction thefts targeting residents in Peel and the GTA
- Police investigating shooting near Jayfield Park in Brampton
- Brampton Woman Slain in New York Hotel Room
- Police identify woman allegedly killed by former partner in suspected murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- UPDATE: Police Re-Identify Suspect After Hells Angels Member Killed in Mississauga
- Police Investigating After Man Struck and Killed in Brampton
- Police Looking for Suspect After Woman Reports Assault in Brampton Park