Brampton woman petitioning for stricter dangerous driving penalties
A Brampton woman is petitioning for stricter laws and harsher penalties for impaired, stunt and reckless driving after a Caledon family was tragically killed in a car crash.
Last month, 37-year-old Karolina Ciasullo and her three daughters were killed in a tragic car crash that was allegedly caused by dangerous driving.
As a result of this tragedy, Jillian McLeod from Brampton decided to take action and start a petition for stricter dangerous driving penalties.
Following the crash, Mayor Patrick Brown described the incident as “heartbreaking” and stated that he was “infuriated that a reckless driving incident would rob this family of their future.”
Brady Robertson was arrested and charged with four counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death on Wednesday, June 24, 2020. He was also charged with one additional count of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle in relation to the Caledon incident.
He was remanded to July 23, 2020, for a bail hearing.
McLeod’s petition on change.org hopes to make mandatory maximum and minimum sentences for serious driving convictions including Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm, Impaired Driving Causing Death, Dangerous Operation Causing Bodily Harm, Dangerous Operation Causing Death, Criminal Negligence Causing Bodily Harm and Criminal Negligence Causing Death.
As of July 22, the petition has received almost 70,000 signatures.
“We need to ensure both families get justice for their lost loved ones and stricter penalties need to be put in place to prevent this from continuing to happen,” said McLeod on the petition’s page.
“Please help me get the laws changed and sentences increased. This has to stop. Innocent lives are being lost for no reason and it is fully preventable.”
- Driver stopped for going more than double the speed limit in Brampton
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- Houses in Brampton significantly more expensive than they were just one year ago
- Many Canadians concerned about returning to their office
- Suspended driver allegedly caught with firearm during traffic stop in Brampton
- Here's What's Happening With Careless Driving Penalties in Ontario
- Man Arrested After Crash Kills Three in Brampton
- Brampton Woman Arrested for Impaired Driving Causing Two Accidents
- Tough New Penalties for Careless and Distracted Driving Coming to Brampton
- Brampton Man Charged in Dangerous Driving Crash