Brampton's Getting a First of its Kind Outdoor Skating Rink
If you love ice skating, you’ll be excited to know that Brampton’s getting a brand new outdoor skating rink!
Now that fall is here, winter is officially around the corner. With that in mind, it might be time to start thinking about winter activities in Brampton, and one of the most popular winter activities in Brampton is ice skating.
Here in Brampton, there are a few options for places to ice skate.
You can head to an indoor recreation centre’s rink.
Or you can access outdoor skating at Gage Park, Mount Pleasant, or Chinguacousy Park.
Now, Brampton is getting its very first covered outdoor ice skating rink as part of the Gore Meadows Community Centre expansion!
The massive new rink is measured at almost 9,000 square feet.
When complete, it will be used for 3 on 3 hockey practice and recreational skating.
So, Brampton is about to have a brand new option for ice skating.
And it will be covered to shelter skaters from the snow and the rain, while still allowing everyone to enjoy the winter weather.
Brampton’s new outdoor rink is part of new additions to Gore Meadows Community Centre, including a new spray pad for the summer, and indoor amenities like a new fitness centre and pool.
As of September 15, 2018, several new features are already complete.
Phase 2 of the now completed expansion is the aquatics and fitness part of a multi-year, phased plan to create a 92-acre city-wide park at the corner of Castlemore Road and The Gore Road. For comparison, Chinguacousy Park boasts 100 acres, so it’s evident that this new park will be a massive community space.
Here’s what exactly is in store for Phase 2 of the project, which totals approximately 80,000 square feet of space:
- A leisure pool with special features such as a slide and teaching steps
- An eight-lane lap pool
- A fitness centre with an aerobics and dance area
- A 6,000 square foot equipment field house
- A 246-foot track, where 20 laps are equivalent to one mile
- A brand new spray pad
- An almost 9,000 square foot outdoor skating rink
The project will also seek Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. The entire project is estimated to cost $37 million.
The skating rink is expected to be ready for use by winter 2018.
- Waste service changes coming to Brampton amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Brampton making changes to transit routes starting March 31
- Traffic study identifies most dangerous streets in Brampton
- Brampton man charged for allegedly lying about COVID-19 exposure
- PHOTOS: A Sneak Peek Inside Gore Meadows Community Centre Phase 2
- Brampton's Latest Outdoor Skating Rink is Now Open
- Here's What's Happening With the Gore Meadows Community Centre Expansion
- Massive Gore Meadows Community Centre and Library Expansion Delayed
- This Outdoor Skating Rink in Brampton is Having A Grand Opening