BREAKING: Former PC Leader Patrick Brown Running for Mayor in Brampton
Well, this was unexpected.
Patrick Brown, the former PC leader who was turfed from his party and position following controversial and disputed sexual misconduct allegations—allegations that prompted him to sue CTV for $8 million and begin crafting a tell-all memoir about what he calls a “political assassination—is now running for mayor of Brampton.
The move, recently reported by 680 News, comes very shortly on the heels of Premier Doug Ford’s unexpected announcement that his government is cancelling the regional chair elections in Peel, York, Niagara and Muskoka.
Patrick Brown is going to run for mayor of Bramptonhttps://t.co/P65NHWhM0d— 680 NEWS Toronto (@680NEWS) July 27, 2018
Brown registered to run for Peel Regional Chair on Tuesday, July 3, beginning a rather improbable political comeback following his dramatic ousting from the Ontario PC party.
inBrampton.com recently asked Brown if he would ever consider running for mayor of Mississauga (where his regional chair candidacy qualifying address suggests he resides), to which he responded that he had no plans to do so.
A source told inBrampton.com that Brown also maintains a residence in Brampton.
Some have speculated that Ford’s move to cancel the regional elections and cut Toronto city council almost in half was motivated by vindictiveness rather than practicality, as the new legislation will bar political rivals such as Brown and former Liberal MPP Steven Del Duca from obtaining the chair positions that they were well positioned to win.
Naturally, the news of Brown’s shift to Brampton politics has inspired some amusing tweets.
*Patrick Brown announces he is going to run for Mayor of Brampton— Alex Cooper (@Alex_Cooper89) July 27, 2018
A few hours later
Doug Ford - "Brampton will be amalgamated into Toronto!"
Brown will be running against a number of candidates, including incumbent Mayor Linda Jeffrey and long time City Councillor John Sprovieri, in the Oct. 2018 election.
- Vehicle rolls over on Brampton intersection
- Stormwater charges on this month's water bills now in effect for Brampton residents
- Feds transitioning Canadians from CERB to Employment Insurance
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- Driver stopped for going more than double the speed limit in Brampton
- Here's What Linda Jeffrey Has to Say About Patrick Brown Running for Mayor in Brampton
- Patrick Brown is Running for Peel Regional Chair
- ONE on One with Possibly the Next Mayor of Brampton, Patrick Brown
- BREAKING: Patrick Brown is Brampton's New Mayor
- VIDEO: Patrick Brown's Political Comeback in Brampton in Jeopardy