BREAKING: Patrick Brown is Brampton's New Mayor
The Brampton municipal election results are in, and residents have voted for a shocking change.
Patrick Brown has been elected as the new mayor of Canada’s ninth largest city.
With 87 per cent of the preliminary results reporting, Brown leads incumbent mayor Linda Jeffrey by just over 3,700 votes.
Former MP Bal Gosal is in third place with 5,167 votes, Regional Coun. John Sprovieri with 4,855 votes, Wesley Jackson with 2,311 votes, Vinod Mahesan with 1,826 votes and Mansoor Ameersulthan with 921 votes.
It may be the most incredible political comeback story in Canadian politics, let alone just 2018. Ten months ago Brown was ousted as the leader of the Ontario PC Party for sexual assault allegations. He left provincial politics under a cloud of controversy and scandal.
Brown then returned to the municipal political arena (he was a former Barrie city councillor) and was running for Peel Regional Chair before Premier Doug Ford cancelled the election for that position. That prompted Brown to make a last minute jump into the Brampton mayoral race.
The former PC leader will now be tasked with leading one of the fastest growing cities in the GTA, with transit needs, gridlock, affordable housing and job creation as the myriad of issues he will need to tackle along with a new council.
Newcomers such as Rowena Santos, Paul Vicente, Harkirat Singh and Charmaine Williams will be joining Brown on the new Brampton City Council.
Full real time election results can be found here.
- Grocery store employee in Brampton tests positive for COVID-19
- Mayor Brown raises concerns over banquet hall events and weddings in Brampton
- BREAKING: AMBER Alert issued for two girls last seen in Kitchener
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- COVID-19: Ontario reports 554 new cases, 79 of those in Peel
- Here's What Linda Jeffrey Has to Say About Patrick Brown Running for Mayor in Brampton
- BREAKING: Former PC Leader Patrick Brown Running for Mayor in Brampton
- Will Doug Ford and Patrick Brown Get Along?
- Patrick Brown is Running for Peel Regional Chair
- City Council votes to suspend pay for Brampton Councillor for 90 days over sexual assault allegations