Canadian Food Banks Need Your Help This Summer
Canadian food banks are in need of your help.
During the winter/holiday season Canadians across the country donate food.
However during the summer, food banks still require help to feed almost one million people in need of their services.
In order to highlight this issue, Food Banks Canada is launching its Every Plate Full campaign.
The Summer Hunger Challenge kicked off on May 28.
The initiative invites Canadians to get involved and raise funds to provide the 26 million meals that are needed this summer.
The challenge has a very unique way of showing Canadians what some families have to go through daily to eat.
People who try the challenge are encouraged to try to feed themselves on a dollar a day. They then should share their experience, whether successful or not, using the hashtag #SummerHungerChallenge on social media.
You can then donate the money you would have usually spent on food that day to the Every Plate Full campaign. Then that money would be able to feed families for multiple meals.
Food Banks Canada hopes the challenge will gain popularity and highlight the major issue of hunger across the country.
Corporations, local businesses and organizations are also encouraged to take the opportunity to raise funds and challenge other teams for local food banks.
“With the support of corporate sponsors such as French’s, donor support, and strategic partnerships, we are able to provide meals across Canada for as little as one dollar for three meals*,” says Tania Little, the chief development and partnerships officer.
“Monetary donations from Canadians across the country are leveraged with the help of our great corporate partners, which helps us stretch each dollar in order to address summer hunger.”
Summer can be a very challenging season for families living with food insecurity.
With kids out of school, the breakfast and lunch programs that families rely on during the school year are not available.
This can lead to unhealthy food choices, with difficult decisions being made every day.
- Brampton is Renaming Some of its Neighbourhoods
- Canada's Wonderland is Building Longest, Fastest, Highest Roller-Coaster for 2019
- Brampton Man Charged in Connection With Five Shootings
- Brampton Man Celebrating Following Huge Lotto Win
- Brampton Ranked Ontario's Most Expensive City for Car Insurance Again
- How Many Canadian Children Go Hungry Once School is Out?
- How to Prepare and Store Food Safely for Summer in Brampton
- Massive Food and Entertainment Festival Returning to Brampton This Summer
- Huge Food Truck Festival Set to Hit Brampton This Summer
- Canadians Demand Policies to Curb Animal Abuse in Food Supply Chains