Canadian government warning residents to beware of convincing new SIN scam
The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) is warning residents to beware of a very convincing new caller ID spoofing scam that attempts to fool people into thinking their social insurance number (SIN) has been blocked, compromised or suspended.
The CAFC says fraudsters are pretending to be calling from government agencies such as Service Canada, the RCMP, or various courthouses. When these people call, you will see the phone number of these agencies on your caller ID.
This is due to caller ID spoofing, which disguises telephone numbers appearing on a caller ID display. This tool allows scammers to disguise their calls, as the call will appear to be coming from local or familiar numbers to trick people into answering the phone and trusting the caller.
Residents who receive this call are asked to provide their SIN and other personal information, such as their date of birth, name, address, and more.
Victims who provide their personal information to unknown individuals are at risk of identity fraud.
So, how can you be vigilant?
The CAFC says not to trust your call display.
"It does not matter what the caller ID says, you cannot trust it," the CAFC says on its website.
The CAFC is reminding residents to never give out personal information such as account numbers, SINs, passwords or other identifying information in response to unexpected calls.
If you get a call from someone who says they represent a legitimate company or a government agency and are seeking personal information, hang up and call the government agency, financial institution or police service to confirm the authenticity of the call.
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- City Council approves plan for Brampton’s last undeveloped area
- Brampton man arrested, two suspects sought for carjacking of mother and three year old daughter
- Ontario reports fewer than 100 new cases of COVID-19 for sixth day in a row
- Study Finds Student Debt is on the Rise in Brampton
- SCAM ALERT: RCMP Warn of Spoofing of Their Phone Number
- Major phone scam affecting Brampton; residents warned not to call back
- An Ongoing Phone Call Scam is Targeting People in Brampton and Beyond
- Police Warning Brampton Residents to Beware of Elaborate Scam
- SCAM ALERT: CRA and Immigration Phone Call Scam