Check Out What These Brampton Firefighters Are Doing for a Good Cause
We're used to seeing the brave men and women of Brampton's fire services putting out house fires, rescuing cats from trees or pulling trapped people from their cars.
Although we do see firefighters in the city do interesting things for charity from time to time, a campaign launched by two Brampton firefighters could be considered somewhat outside the box.
Chris and Dave Vanderburg, both cousins who are Brampton firefighters, are planning to raise money by racing across India in an auto rickshaw.
Dubbing themselves "Canuk-Tuk", after the well worn nickname for Canadians and the tuk tuk, the vehicle in which the Vanderburgs will be traversing across India in, their campaign has so far raised $2,850 of their $3,000 goal.
"Obviously we aren’t the sharpest knives in the drawer, but we are suckers for a good cause! 100 per cent of the money fundraised will be split 50/50 between these two charities," they said on their Go Fund Me page.
Those charities are Indus Community Services, which provides a number of community services such as senior care, health services and english classes for newcomers to Canada. The other is Cool Earth, a non-profit organization that works alongside rainforest communities to halt deforestation and its impact on climate change.
Congratulations to the Vanderburgs and best of luck on their interesting journey!
- Traffic study identifies most dangerous streets in Brampton
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Brampton man charged for allegedly lying about COVID-19 exposure
- Waste service changes coming to Brampton amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Close to 2,000 COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, with over 70 cases confirmed in Brampton
- Brampton Fire Services Help Fund Student's Journey to College
- PHOTOS: Brampton Firefighters Rescue Goose Frozen in Pond
- This is Where You Can Access Community Services in Brampton
- Fire Station Flags in Brampton to Fly at Half-Mast This Weekend
- Here's How the Ontario Government is Improving Mental Health and Addiction Services Across the Province