Cineplex to reopen all movie theatres on Aug. 21
Cineplex, which recently reopened a handful of movie theatres and Rec Room and Playdium locations, just announced that it will reopen all of its facilities tomorrow (Aug. 21).
In a statement, the company said that all 164 Cineplex theatres and 1,687 screens across Canada will be open as of tomorrow, including the brand's 22 VIP Cinemas locations.
To welcome audience back to the big screen, theatres will be showing a number of North American firsts, including the Christopher Nolan film Tenet on August 27 (with special advance screenings the night before).
Cineplex said The Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run and Unhinged are in theatres now.
"As Canada's only national film exhibitor, we are proud to safely welcome movie-lovers back for some much-deserved fun and escape. For over 100 years we've entertained our guests and we are so excited to get back to what we do best," said Ellis Jacob, President and CEO, Cineplex, in a statement.
"I want to assure our guests and employees that alongside this great milestone, we have implemented industry-leading health and safety protocols and will continue updating and evolving our practices as necessary to keep everyone healthy and safe. Thank you, Canada, for your kindness and your trust in us."
Cineplex said all theatres are open with enhanced safety and cleaning measures as well as procedures to allow for physical distancing both inside and outside auditoriums.
Some new safety measures include offering reserved seating in all auditoriums, reducing capacity in all auditoriums to allow for physical distancing, encouragement of debit and credit payments, ensuring employees and guests have the personal protective equipment they need and respecting all locally and municipally mandated guidelines.
Cover photo from The Canadian Press
- Charges laid after stolen vehicle causes collision in Brampton
- Seven of the top 10 most rat-infested cities in Ontario in GTHA
- Additional charges laid in fatal Brampton collision that killed mother and three children
- Planning for this transformative Brampton project now underway
- Brampton's mandatory face-covering bylaw to be extended until 2021
- Cineplex to keep its theatres doors closed for the foreseeable future
- Cineplex to stick with optional face masks policy, as U.S. theatres reconsider
- Cineplex closing theatres until April
- PICK A SIDE: Is it still too soon for Cineplex to be reopening?
- Huge Changes Possible for Brampton Movie Theatres