Company Fined After Worker Falls 27 Feet Through Roof in Brampton
A York-based company is facing a significant fine after a worker fell through a roof in Brampton, sustaining critical injuries.
Roofing company Always Roofing Ltd. has been fined $55,000 after a worker fell 27 feet through the skylight opening of a business in Brampton.
The terrible workplace incident happened on December 7, 2015, at a business at 230 Advance Boulevard, according to the Ministry of Labour.
In December 2015, Always Roofing was hired to replace the existing flat roof of the building. Workers removed a skylight, which left an opening in the roof.
However, the workers never installed a guardrail system around the opening, or place a protective covering over the opening as they should have done for safety.
“An Always Roofing employee was applying glue near the skylight opening, walking backwards and lost balance before falling through the skylight opening,” said the Ministry of Labour.
After falling 27 feet, the worker sustained critical head injuries.
According to the Ministry of Labour, Always Roofing was found to have failed as an employer to ensure that either a guardrail system or a protective covering was used to prevent a worker from falling through an opening on a work surface as required.
The court also imposed a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
- Injuries Reported After Vehicle Crashes into House in Brampton
- Vehicle Catches on Fire in Brampton
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- People Are Demanding Better Phone Plans As Canada's Phone Plan Prices Increase
- Popular ISP Launches New Cheap TV Service Across Ontario
- Company in Brampton Slapped With Fine After Worker's Arms Pulled into Machine
- Company Fined Thousands After Worker Doused in Hot Limestone on the Job in Brampton
- Company Fined After Worker Killed During Warehouse Construction in Brampton
- Brampton Company Slapped With Huge Fine After Steel Beams Fall on Worker
- Bottle-Making Company Fined Thousands After Worker Injured Permanently