Company in Brampton Slapped With Fine After Worker's Arms Pulled into Machine
After a worker sustained critical injuries on the job a year and a half ago, a roofing products company in Brampton is facing the consequences.
I.G. Machine & Fibers Ltd at 87 Orenda Road in Brampton has been fined $65,000 following a guilty plea after a worker’s arm was pulled into the rollers of a laminator machine.
According to the Ministry of Labour, on August 8, 2016, a worker was operating a laminator machine at the company’s location on Orenda Road.
As the worker adjusted the product that was being fed through the rollers of the machine, the worker’s arms were pulled between the rollers.
An anti-nip bar that would typically prevent access to the rollers and act as a guard had been removed at the time of the incident.
The worker suffered serious injuries.
According to the Industrial Establishments Regulation, “any part of a machine, device or thing that may endanger the safety of any worker shall be equipped with and guarded by a guard or other device that prevents access to the pinch point.”
Since there was no guard on the machine, I.G. Machine was found to have failed as an employer to ensure that the measures and procedures prescribed by the regulation were carried out at the workplace.
The court also imposed a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
- A Major Canadian Company Is Moving Into A Single Facility In Brampton
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- A Frightening New Scam is Scaring Brampton Residents into Giving Up Private Information
- Brampton City Council Renames Park To Honour The Death Of Two-Year-Old Boy
- Severe Thunderstorm And Flood Watch Now In Effect For Brampton
- Brampton Recycling Company Faces Stiff Fine After Worker Injured Permanently
- Bottle-Making Company Fined Thousands After Worker Injured Permanently
- Company Fined $85,000 After Worker Killed in Brampton
- Company Fined After Worker Falls 27 Feet Through Roof in Brampton
- Brampton Employer Fined After Worker Injured