Could Brampton's uptick in COVID-19 cases cause new restrictions on social gatherings?
At a September 9 conference, Mayor Patrick Brown discussed additional measures to help cope with the COVID-19 crisis in Brampton.
At the conference, Dr. Monica Hau, Associate Medical Officer of Health, Region of Peel, who filled in for Dr. Lawrence Loh, made an announcement about the uptick in COVID-19 cases in the region.
According to Dr. Hau, this past week the Region of Peel saw an increase of cases at levels that they have not seen since June when the region was going towards the end of stage one.
Additionally, Dr. Hau stated that over the past week, the region of Peel saw around 350 cases with about 75% of those cases in Brampton and 23% in Mississauga.
Mayor Patrick Brown also commented on the uptick in COVID-19 cases in Brampton.
When asked about potential restrictions coming into place again for social gatherings, Brown told reporters that should the region continue to see numbers “creep up,” he would welcome the provincial government revisiting the number of people currently allowed in social gatherings.
Mayor Brown also stated that last weekend, although there were several complaints about social gatherings in Brampton, none of them exceeded the provincial limit.
“The largest one was 89 people,” said Brown. “Because the provincial government has set a limit that is relatively high, people are not breaching the emergency law.”
At a recent conference, Ontario Premier Doug Ford acknowledged the increase of COVID-19 numbers in the Region of Peel while expressing his concerns and hinted that the provincial government is prepared to take action if cases do not decrease.
Dr. Hau also stated that since the beginning of Stage 3 of the economy’s reopening, Peel has seen various community-based cases acquired from large social gatherings.
Additionally, they have seen an increasing number of cases in the same households, those that are due to travel as well as a number of workplace outbreaks, according to Dr. Hau.
Dr. Hau concluded her announcement by reminding everyone to practice the four core behaviours to help overcome COVID-19; stay apart, lather up, mask up and get tested.
- Additional charges laid in fatal Brampton collision that killed mother and three children
- Seven of the top 10 most rat-infested cities in Ontario in GTHA
- Charges laid after stolen vehicle causes collision in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 17
- Brampton's mandatory face-covering bylaw to be extended until 2021
- Health official says COVID-19 cases still on the rise in Brampton
- COVID-19: 151 new cases in Ontario as premier looks to limit gatherings to 5 people or less
- Ford urges Ontarians to avoid large gatherings amid ‘uptick’ in COVID-19 cases
- Dr. Lawrence Loh says there is a 'slight uptick' in COVID-19 cases in Brampton
- Ontario reports 315 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths in past 24 hours