COVID-19: Ontario's dentists to only perform emergency services
Dentists in Ontario have been ordered to halt all non-essential and elective dental services in response to the increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the province.
The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) issued a notice to their members on Sunday telling them that only emergency treatments should be offered at this time.
IMPORTANT NOTICE!!— CDHA (@theCDHA) March 15, 2020
The RCDSO has issued a message to all dentists in Ontario on the COVID-19 Pandemic, strongly recommending that all non-essential and elective dental services be suspended immediately. Emergency treatment should continue. https://t.co/qfZFKkSyTs pic.twitter.com/W0i91pAQdq
“In accordance with our mandate to act in the public’s interest and in hearing the numerous comments made to us by members, in consultation with hospitals and public health and others,” the notice said.
“The RCDSO strongly recommends that all non-essential and elective dental services should be suspended immediately. Emergency treatment should continue.”
According to the notice, securing enough personal protective equipment for practices and their staff has been a problem and therefore requires effective social distancing and ‘bold action’ are required.
They also recommended that given the impact essentially shuttering dental offices will have on staff, that employment lawyers be consulted.
The organization then said that they will continue to monitor the situation and that its recommendations will be reviewed in the coming weeks and are subject to change.
The College will revisit this recommendation in the first week of April.
- "The justice system failed us": Mayor Patrick Brown angrily responds after Brampton shooting leaves woman dead
- Arrests made in double stabbing at Brampton apartment
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- A Big lottery ticket win sold in Brampton
- Onions sold in Brampton recalled due to possible Salmonella
- Lack of PPE, conflicting guidelines slow reopening of dental clinics
- College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario releases new guidelines for treatment during pandemic
- Province asking hospitals to ramp down elective surgeries in response to COVID-19 pandemic
- New Dental Care Program Announced for Ontario's Seniors
- Brampton temporarily suspends employment for non-essential services amid COVID-19 outbreak