COVID-19: Province launches hotline for businesses with questions about closures

 

In an effort to support businesses dealing with the fallout of the COVID-19 crisis and the uncertainty it brings, Ontario has launched a toll-free line for any with questions.

In a press release sent out Wednesday (March 25), the province said businesses with questions about the recent order to close 'at-risk' workplaces can call 1-888-444-3659.

The order came earlier this week at the recommendation of Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams, and urged 'non-essential' businesses to find ways for employees to work from home.

"This was a tough decision, but the right decision, as this is no time for half measures," said Premier Doug Ford in making the announcement.

"But I have said from day one we will, and we must take all steps necessary to slow the spread of COVID-19. The health and safety of every Ontarian must come first. The health of you, your children, your grandparents and friends depends on all of us doing our part."

The government also reminded businesses to put in place protocols for physical distancing and regular hand-washing in order to protect the health and safety of employees and the general public.

list of what the province considers to be 'essential' services was released Tuesday and for many, and given its length and vague wording, it brought up more questions than provided answers.

Businesses who have questions about closures of 'at-risk' workplaces or how emergency measures impact their business or employment can call the Stop the Spread Business Information Line at 1-888-444-3659.

Help is available from Monday to Sunday, from 8:30 a.m.--5:00 p.m.

Your Comments