Do You Know a Bramptonian Who Deserves an Award?
If you know someone who has made a contribution to the Flower City in 2017, now is a good time to tell them how important they are to our city!
The City of Brampton just opened nominations for the Brampton Citizens Awards.
Basically, these awards are designed to recognize any Bramptonian who has made a meaningful contribution to the city in 2017, or had a significant achievement in one or more of six categories.
Here are the categories as outlined by the city:
- Sports Achievement Award: Brampton residents whose achievements have been recognized at the Provincial, National or International level.
- Arts Acclaim Award: Bramptonians whose contributions have had a significant impact in terms of achieving local, Provincial, National or International acclaim.
- Long-Term Service Award: dedicated volunteers whose efforts have made a significant impact towards the development and advancement of recreational sports, the arts and community social services.
- Inspirational Award: Brampton residents who advocate for and/or practice humane action, or who have had an inspirational influence on others.
- Emergency Services Award of Valour: recognizes an individual or individuals, who voluntarily risked their own life/lives while performing a heroic act to save the life of another person.
- Volunteer of the Year Award: new this year, this award recognizes a Brampton Volunteer and a Brampton Youth Volunteer who have demonstrated all-round community involvement. This award recognizes local residents who build communities and show what can be achieved with passion and determination.
“Our City is strengthened by contributions made by individuals and groups within our community,” says Mayor Linda Jeffrey. “I encourage you to take the time to nominate those who you know have given so much to our city over the past year.”
These awards are longstanding in Brampton — in fact, they’ve been running for over 40 years.
That’s longer than the number of years a lot of Brampton’s population has been alive.
So, how are winners selected?
Well, a selection committee of expert community members in each award category, City officials, representatives from Brampton Fire and Emergency Services, Brampton Sports Alliance, Brampton Seniors Council and Peel Regional Police will judge and determine which residents will win the awards.
An awards ceremony will be held in May 2018!
The deadline for applications is January 31, 2018, at 4:30 p.m. And, no, you can’t nominate yourself.
If you want to nominate someone, you can find nomination forms and all of the details here.
- Popular ISP Launches New Cheap TV Service Across Ontario
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- PHOTOS: A Slew Of Luxurious Townhomes Are Under Construction In Brampton
- Peel Police 'Can't Believe' They Have to Tell Brampton Residents Not to Car Surf
- Police Remind Residents Not to Call 911 on Ice Cream Trucks