First of its Kind Flag Set to be Raised in Brampton
Brampton has flown a number of flags in the past - in fact, the City of Brampton does allow flags to be flown in addition to the Canadian Flag, the Province of Ontario Flag, the United Nations Flag and/or the City of Brampton Flag at locations like City Hall and the Civic Centre.
As long as the flag will enrich the lives of Brampton residents, almost any group can request their flag be raised on the community flagpole, which is located at Ken Whillans Square in front of City Hall in downtown Brampton.
On Wednesday March 7, 2018, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. a flag that’s the first of its kind to be raised in Brampton will indeed take over the community flagpole at Ken Whillans Square during a flag raising ceremony - a flag in honour and advance of World Down Syndrome Day on Wednesday March 21 this year.
Mayor Linda Jeffrey will make a proclamation at the ceremony, and attendees will hear from Councillor Martin Medeiros and the Project 321 Peel Down Syndrome Association.
The flag raising will be followed by light refreshments in the Conservatory at City Hall.
According to Statistics Canada, “Down syndrome is usually caused by the presence of an extra chromosome 21. It is one of the most common congenital anomalies worldwide, and approximately 1 in 750 live born babies in Canada has Down syndrome.”
Will you attend Brampton’s flag raising?
- Employee at Brampton FreshCo. tests positive for COVID-19
- Brampton woman identified as Hamilton murder victim
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 24
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 24
- These are the pharmacies offering COVID-19 tests in Brampton
- Brampton Raising Flag for Good Cause as Part of Province-Wide Campaign
- Brampton Raises Pride Flag for the Month
- Brampton Set to Raise Flag for Remembrance Day
- Judge calls for review after CSIS fails to flag info likely obtained illegally
- Celebrate diversity with the city of Brampton at these upcoming events