Frigid Temperatures Set to Persist This Week in Brampton
The holidays are over, but the bitter cold in the air is forecasted to remain for at least another few days!
While we are no longer under an extreme cold weather alert according to Environment Canada, The Weather Network has persisted windchill values nearing -30 C across southern Ontario into Tuesday.
Daytime highs should scale back into the minus teens midweek, but that doesn’t change the fact that there will be a frigid cold in the air.
That’s no big surprise — it is winter after all!
But temperatures have been breaking record lows across southern Ontario this winter. It looks like the prediction from a few months ago that this would be our coldest winter in the past decade wasn’t so far off.
According to The Weather Network, the frigidity is expected to relax as we head into the second week of January.
It's no secret that extreme cold weather puts people and pets at risk.Here are some reminders from Environment Canada as the weather remains bone-chillingly cold:
- Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.
- Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.
- Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
- Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.
- Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle such as extra blankets and jumper cables.
- If it’s too cold for you to stay outside, it’s too cold for your pet to stay outside.
- Outdoor workers should take regularly scheduled breaks to warm up.
- Lanes closed on 410 due to police investigation in Brampton
- Firearm located after traffic stop closes 410 in Brampton
- Police identify woman allegedly killed by former partner in suspected murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- Police investigating incident at Brampton school
- Police searching for Brampton man following shooting and robbery at adult entertainment facility