Group Raising Money After 11-Year-Old Girl's Murder
In the midst of the tragedy of the death of 11 year old Riya Rajkumar, a number of community leaders and groups have taken some gesture and action, no matter how small, in order to support Riya’s family as well as the community at large.
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown has announced that, as a ‘sign of our collective mourning over this horrible act of violence”, City of Brampton flags will be lowered to half mast until further notice.
As a sign of our collective mourning over the horrible act of violence, the @CityBrampton facilities will lower their flags to half-mast until further notice. #RiyaRajkumar #brampton #brampoli #onpoli #cdnpoli @PeelPoliceMedia— Patrick Brown (@patrickbrownont) February 15, 2019
The Peel District School Board has dispatched Critical Incident Response Teams to Meadowvale Village Public School, where Riya was a student, to offer support to staff and students.
It is with sadness that we share the news of Riya Rajkumar's passing. Members of @Peelschools Critical Incident Response Team will be at @meadvillps today to offer support to staff & students. They'll stay as long as they are needed. Thank you for keeping them in your thoughts https://t.co/KKGhGH7Var— Peel District School Board (@PeelSchools) February 15, 2019
Meadowvale Village PS has also offered some suggestions on how to deal with the grief and trauma, and Neighbourhood Watch Brampton has set up a Go Fund Me campaign with the goal of covering the funeral costs for Riya.
“This tragic incident has affected many across Peel Region and the province. Neighbourhood Watch Brampton has set a modest goal of raising $2,500 to assist with the funeral costs for Riya,” as stated on the Go Fund Me page.
Amidst this tragedy, it’s heartening to see the community come together in some way to offer support for Riya’s family during this terrible time.
- Grocery store employee in Brampton tests positive for COVID-19
- Mayor Brown raises concerns over banquet hall events and weddings in Brampton
- BREAKING: AMBER Alert issued for two girls last seen in Kitchener
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- COVID-19: Ontario reports 554 new cases, 79 of those in Peel
- Funeral Planned on Wednesday for 11 Year Old Riya Rajkumar
- Riya Rajkumar's Mother Speaks Out After Daughter's Death
- Local School Devastated After 11-Year-Old Student Found Murdered in Brampton
- BREAKING: Riya Rajkumar's Father Dies
- Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown Issues Statement Following Death of 11 Year Old Girl