Here's What's Being Done About Illegally Parked Vehicles in Brampton
If you’ve ever seen a car parked in someone’s front yard, you’re not alone. Illegally parked cars are an escalating issue in Brampton, and now, the City is increasing penalties for anyone who parks illegally.
What counts as illegal parking in Brampton?
Parking on the street between 2-6 a.m. and parking on the street for more than three hours, to name a few.
Then, there’s parking on grass boulevards and front and side yards.
And for those vehicles that park on unsurfaced areas, penalties are getting worse.
On of May 30, 2018, Brampton City Council passed the Unauthorized Parking By-law. The new By-law entails a few things for vehicles that park on grass.
Officers can now issue a Parking Penalty Notice of $75 for vehicles that are illegally parked on unsurfaced areas. Penalty notices may now be issued immediately by Enforcement Officers, who are on patrol 24 hours a day, according to the City of Brampton.
Prior to the new By-law, Property Standard Orders were issued when vehicles were parked on landscaped front or side yards and Penalty Notices were issued when vehicles were parked on landscaped boulevards
Tickets were formerly $35, and those parked on a private front or side yard were provided with a minimum of 21 days to comply by moving their vehicles.
And charges laid could take up to one year to resolve.
“The new By-law will allow Enforcement staff to spend less time on parking complaints related to front and side yards, reallocating labour resources to other significant by-law issues, while simultaneously improving the appearance of local neighbourhoods,” reads a recent statement from the City.
So, if you want to avoid a steep ticket for parking illegally, avoid parking on grass and unsurfaced areas.
Tell your neighbours!
- Canada issues travel advisory warning for India
- Large fire at Brampton Canadian Tire
- Police called after racism discussions become heated at Peel District School Board meeting
- Police not facing charges after man falls onto highway 407 in Brampton
- Police looking for 14 year old girl last seen in Brampton
- Brampton introduces technology for more efficient parking enforcement
- Important Information on Street Parking in Brampton
- Brampton Man Charged in Connection With Assault on Parking Enforcement Officer
- Important Parking Changes Coming to Some Areas of Brampton
- The city of Brampton issues reminder about accessible parking