Here's What's Happening for Canada Day in Brampton
There's no shortage of summer festivals in Brampton, and one of the biggest events of the year is fast approaching. So crawl out of your igloo and harness your moose - Canada Day is just around the corner.
Sunday July 1 is Canada's 151st birthday this year, and there are a ton of fun things happening at Chinguacousy Park from noon until 10 p.m. to celebrate.
From food, to live entertainment, to fireworks, and beyond, it's all happening at Ching Park this year!
What can you expect?
The full-day celebration will be split into a few different zones throughout the park.
First, there’s the community zone, where you’ll find a free water station, retail vendors and community groups, an animal show meet-and-greet, a Disney princess meet-and-greet, and even free cupcakes.
- 12-10 p.m. Free Water Station
- 12-10 p.m. Retail Vendors and Community Group Booths
- 1:30-2 p.m. Great White North Animal Show Meet and Greet
- 2-2:30 p.m. Disney Princess Meet and Greet
- 2:30-3 p.m. Free Cupcakes
An inflatable zone will be set up all day, too.
- 12-10 p.m. Superior Events Inflatable Amusement Park
- 12-8:30 p.m. Great Canadian Bandshell Entertainment
The food zone will host tons of food vendors from noon until nightfall.
- 12-10 p.m. Food Vendors
Food vendor lineups will be cutoff 15-minutes prior to their scheduled end times.
And of course, there will also be programming throughout the park, including mid-way rides and even a beer garden!
- 12-6 p.m. Interactive Fire Safety Display
- 12-9 p.m. Mini mid-way rides (The Carnival Museum Happyland)
- 12-10 p.m. “My Brampton” Photo Op
- 2-10 p.m. Beer Garden
Activity lineups will be cutoff 30-minutes prior to their scheduled end times.
The headliner is a pretty big deal - it's rocker Tom Cochrane with Red Rider, performing at 8:30 p.m.!
Canadian musician and frontman for rock band Red Rider, Cochrane has released a total of 17 albums and he has become an icon for future generations of Canadian artists.
According to Cochrane's website, he's one of only three Canadian make singer-songwriters to have a diamond-certified album in Canada, having over a million copies sold. You might know some of his biggest, international hits, Life is a Highway and Lunatic Fringe.
Cochrane has won a whopping eight JUNO awards, and he's also a member of the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. He's been singing and writing songs since the 1970s.
Opening for Cochrane is Tyler Shaw at 7:15 p.m.
Shaw, a platinum-selling artist, producer, and actor, released his first hit Kiss Goodnight in 2012, and he scored a JUNO in 2014. He has opened for huge artists like Shawn Mendes and renowned Bramptonian Alessia Cara, and he has toured with Selena Gomez.
YouTubers YouTwo TV - Bramptonians Jaz Saini and Harjit Bhandal - will be hosting on the main stage, so you can expect good times and laughs all around.
And the main event…fireworks!
Fireworks are on at Chinguacousy Park at 10 p.m. on Canada Day this year, weather permitting.
Here are the road closures for the day:
9 a.m., July 1 - 12 a.m., July 2
- Goodwood Road from Bramalea Road to Goldcrest Road
10 a.m., July 1 - 1 a.m., July 2
- Queen Street from Central Park Drive to Bramalea Road
10 a.m., July 1 - 8 p.m., July 1
- Queen Street (Westbound lanes only) from Glenvale Boulevard to Bramalea Road
- Queen Street (Eastbound lanes only) from Dixie Road to Central Park Drive
8 p.m., July 1 - 12 a.m., July 2
- Queen Street (both directions) from Glenvale Boulevard to Bramalea Road
- Queen Street (both directions) from Dixie Road to Central Park Drive
- Bramalea Road (both directions) from Kensington Road to Central Park Drive
- Central Park Drive (both directions) from Hanover Road to Peel Centre Drive
9 p.m., July 1 -10:30 p.m., July 1
- Central Park Drive, from Hilldale Crescent (southernmost intersection) to Bramalea Road
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- A Frightening New Scam is Scaring Brampton Residents into Giving Up Private Information
- Brampton City Council Renames Park To Honour The Death Of Two-Year-Old Boy
- Tim Hortons' Launching Limited-Time Doughnut To Help Cause in Brampton
- Police Respond to Two-Vehicle Collision in Brampton