Here's What's Happening With Brampton's New University
Brampton’s upcoming university has generated mixed emotions in our city since it was announced. And if you’re wondering what’s happening with the major project, the city is moving forward on finding architects for part of the project.
While full details about the Ryerson-Sheridan partnership have yet to be revealed, the city is now looking for an architectural firm to provide design services for the Brampton Centre for Education, Innovation and Collaboration (BCEIC).
The BCEIC is part of a $150 million investment in a massive new campus, and it will be located in Brampton’s downtown core.
Some time ago, city council endorsed a recommendation to spend up to $50 million over 10 years on a joint Ryerson University and Sheridan College facility in downtown Brampton, and up to $100 million on community infrastructure in Brampton to support it, including a shared space - the BCEIC - for the community, businesses, and students, and, possibly, a brand new downtown library.
The Request for Prequalification (RFPQ) was released on April 6, 2018, and it means that Brampton is moving forward on the university project.
“In supporting the university campus, as well as providing significant stimulus at the heart of the city's Downtown, the design of the facility will provide a positive and engaging user experience both within the building and through its streetscape and urban design,” reads the bid.
“The BCEIC will serve all Brampton residents as well as university students, providing opportunities for elementary, secondary, post-secondary students to engage with, innovate and collaborate with one another, residents, the business community and industry in a collaborative setting that promotes experiential learning.”
Basically the RFPQ is the first step in picking a firm for the design process, and create a shortlist of architects who will be invited to create a Request for Proposal (RFP).
Several firms have already responded to the bid and are viewing the criteria, such as AECOM Canada Ltd., ZAS Architects Inc., and B+H Architects. A total of 39 firms have responded as of April 9, 2018.
The city expects the design to be completed by summer 2020, which is when residents can glean more of an idea of what the BCEIC will look like.
Find out everything you need to know about Brampton’s new university here.
- Four arrested including two Brampton men after series of overnight robberies
- Man dead after vehicle crashes into pole in Brampton
- BREAKING: First coronavirus patient confirmed at Sunnybrook Hospital
- Various milk products recalled due to sanitizer contamination
- Salaries for Brampton Employees Expected to Rise 2.7 Per Cent
- Here's the Latest on Brampton's New University
- City Could Spend Up to $150 Million on Brampton's New University
- City Council To Invest Over $7 Million In Brampton University
- Brampton and Ryerson University sign agreement to bring Innovation Zone to the city
- Brampton's Big University Update Delayed Until 2018