Here's Who Can Ride GO Transit for Free This Weekend
With Remembrance Day coming up soon, some residents should note that they might be eligible to catch a free ride on GO Transit.
Metrolinx recently announced that it plans to honour Canadian Armed Forces members and veterans with free travel on Remembrance Day—Nov. 11, 2018.
"Every year on November 11, Metrolinx honours veterans, their companions and current members of the Canadian Armed Forces by offering free transportation on GO Transit buses and trains and UP Express," Metrolinx said in a statement.
Veterans and current members of the Canadian Armed Forces are asked to identify themselves by wearing their medals, beret, blazer, uniform or other similar belongings while traveling.
Immediate family members of deceased veterans may also ride for free on Remembrance Day if carrying something to identify their relationship to the late veteran, such as service papers or an identification card.
Residents should also note that various municipalities are offering free transit for veterans and soldiers on Nov. 11.
The City of Mississauga says Canadian Forces veterans and their companion can ride MiWay for free on Remembrance Day as well.
Veterans should wear items such as uniforms, medals or carry items that identify them as veterans to transit operators.
War veterans can also ride Brampton Transit for free on November 11. A veteran can be identified by producing a Brampton Transit "War Veteran Pass" or by wearing or producing a uniform, medals, berets, a blazer or other means of identification.
Oakville Transit is also offering free rides for veterans.
Commuters heading to Toronto should note that the TTC is also offering free rides to veterans and their companions.
If you are a veteran or active-duty soldier, be sure to bring the required proof with you to be eligible for free transit fare.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Woodbine Mohawk Park
- All lanes closed on a major highway in Brampton
- House of the Week: $4.6 Mil Massive House with Stunning Interior
- Major phone scam affecting Brampton; residents warned not to call back
- UPDATE: Mental health crisis prompts major highway and road closures in Brampton
- Brampton transit to offer free transportation to war veterans
- Some Brampton Residents Can Ride the Bus for Free on Remembrance Day
- Ontario government providing free access to provincial parks to veterans
- BREAKING: GO Transit Announces that Children Will Ride for Free
- Here's What is Happening for Remembrance Day in Brampton