Important Waste Collection News for Brampton and Mississauga
If you regularly put your garbage and recycling on the curb in Brampton or Mississauga, there's some important waste collection news that you might want to know about.
The Region of Peel recently announced that weekly yard waste collection begins Monday, Oct. 2 and lasts until Friday, Dec. 15. Residents in urban areas in Caledon will continue to receive bi-weekly yard waste collection on their scheduled yard waste collection dates. Residents in rural areas of Caledon will have their yard waste picked up on designated Fridays.
You can click here and use When Does It Go to check your waste management calendar or download your schedule to your phone or other device.
Some restrictions do apply to certain residents.
The region says residents in the Canadian Food Inspection Agency Asian Long Horned Beetle quarantined area of Malton cannot move any yard waste, nursery stock, trees, logs, lumber, wood, wood chips and bark chips out of the restricted area. Yard waste in this area will be collected from the curbside on regularly scheduled collection days, but cannot be accepted for drop-off at any of the Region’s Community Recycling Centres.
Yard waste must be at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day. It should be placed in acceptable bins, containers and/or bags.
A bin/container used for yard waste collection must be:
- Clearly labelled “yard waste”,
- Rigid and reusable with handles that are attached or molded to the exterior,
- Smaller than 60 cm (24 in.) wide and 95 cm (38 in.) high, and,
- Weigh less than 20 kg (44 lbs.), when full.
A Kraft brown paper bag used for yard waste collection must:
- Support a maximum weight of 20 kg (44 lbs.) when lifted, without tearing,
- Securely close when full, and,
- Be smaller than 66 cm (26 in.) wide and 90 cm (35 in.) high.
Residents can use their old garbage container or blue/grey box to set out yard waste for collection. All repurposed containers must be in good condition and clearly labelled “yard waste” to be collected.
- Brampton woman celebrating second lottery win
- What you need to know about Brampton's new mandatory mask bylaw
- Arrest made in connection to series of sexual assaults in Brampton
- Brampton's new campaign to provide free face masks to families
- PHOTOS: Brampton's most and least expensive houses this past month