Is Traveling to the States About to Get More Stressful?
If you were planning on traveling to the U.S. from Pearson Airport, you might want to prepare yourself longer than usual wait times.
Air Canada recently announced that, due to security measures implemented by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS, travelers are "encouraged to arrive at the airport at least two hours before their schedule departure time when flying to the U.S."
Air Canada says that heightened security measures have been introduced by the DHS that require enhanced screening of personal electronic devices (phones, tablets, laptops, etc.). Now, all electronics larger than a smartphone will be easily accessible and have all cases, covers and packaging removed.
Although the move isn't particularly surprising—U.S. officials are often concerned about security—the DHS says the policy is in place to help prevent terrorism.
"The United States and the global aviation community face an adaptive and agile enemy. Terrorist groups continue to target passenger aircraft, and we have seen a 'spider web' of threats to commercial aviation as terrorist pursue new attack methods. Based on these concerns, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is working to raise the baseline of global aviation security to keep the traveling public safe, in coordination with our international partners," the DHS fact sheet reads.
So if you're traveling to the U.S., leave yourself extra time. Your electronic devices may be searched more thoroughly.
- Motorcyclist dead after colliding with transport truck in Brampton
- Child at summer camp tests positive for COVID-19
- City of Brampton unveils new park name sign
- Overnight stabbing in Brampton prompts police inviestigation
- Brampton students cannot switch from distance to in-person learning at random during the school year: PDSB
- Faster Security Process Comes to Toronto Pearson Airport
- Union calls for alternate licensing system for security guards amid pandemic
- Canada’s UN envoy mounts final push for Security Council seat amid pandemic
- Huawei’s ambitions for Canada stalled by rift with China, security expert says
- 50 Million Accounts Affected By Huge Facebook Security Breach