Jagmeet Singh is Coming to Brampton This Week
As Sikh Heritage Month comes to a close in Brampton, it looks like one more special guest is on his way back to his hometown.
He won the NDP leadership, he got married, and now he’s on his way to the Flower City.
Federal NDP leader and former Brampton MPP Jagmeet Singh will be in Brampton on Thursday April 26, 2018 for the city’s Sikh Heritage Month Event at City Hall from 6-8 p.m.
What’s happening at the event?
You can expect a keynote speech from Singh who is now one of the most prominent Sikhs from Brampton, and three Sikh Canadians will be celebrated for their contributions to Brampton.
Const. Manjit Basran of Peel Regional Police, Palvinder Kaur for her non-profit Langar Seva that provides meals and support for many people in our community, and hip-hop and rap artist Fateh will be recognized.
“The City of Brampton is proud to recognize our Sikh community by proclaiming April as Sikh Heritage Month,” said Mayor Linda Jeffrey in a recent statement.
“An important part of our cultural fabric, we are grateful to the Sikh community for being actively engaged in our community here in Brampton - you continue to inspire us all.”
Sikh Canadians do make up a significant part of Brampton’s population. According to the most recent census data, almost 20 per cent of Brampton’s population identifies as Sikh.
Sikh Heritage Month in April is significant because it marks the creation of the Khalsa and Sikh articles of faith, notes a recent release from the city.
“Many Sikh Canadians widely celebrated Vaisakhi, also known as Khalsa Day, on Saturday, April 14, 2018.”
Light refreshments and networking can also be expected at the event.
According to the city, attendees will get to “network and mingle, sample traditional cuisine, experience local entertainment and listen to inspiring speakers.”
You are invited to City Hall for the 2018 @CityBrampton #SikhHeritageMonth reception on Thurs, April 26th from 6-8pm with @theJagmeetSingh as keynote speaker. Three outstanding citizens including @Cst3060, @LangarSeva, and @FatehDOE will be recognized . #brampoli #onpoli #canpoli pic.twitter.com/szQkJ74A0y— Gurpreet Dhillon (@gurpreetdhillon) April 20, 2018
- AMBER ALERT CANCELLED: 11 Year Old Girl Abducted by Father Found Dead in Brampton
- Vigil To Be Held In Brampton For Slain 11-Year-Old Girl
- Man Wanted for Attempted Murder and Firearms Offences in Brampton
- Power Out for Thousands of Brampton Residents
- People Complain About Amber Alert Following Death of 11-Year-Old Girl
- What's Happening in Brampton for Sikh Heritage Month?
- Brampton Sikh Motorcyclists No Longer Required to Wear a Helmet
- Helmet Exemption Coming for Sikh Motorcyclists in Brampton
- Brampton Politicians Speak Up On Alleged Sikh Extremism in Canada
- Free Admission at Art Gallery and Museum in Brampton All Month Long