Justin Trudeau Pledges to Ban Assault Weapons
As the election race tightens, Justin Trudeau has announced today that if he gets re-elected, he intends to make guns harder to obtain through legal means.
Trudeau has vowed to completely prohibit the sale of assault rifles, as well as increase legislation regarding obtaining handguns in an effort to prevent legal firearms ending up in criminals’ hands, as well as curb the growing number of shootings that are happening in Canada--particularly in the GTA.
According to statistics published by Global News, over the last five years, gun violence has been on the rise in Toronto. In 2018, there were 238 shootings in Toronto and 324 victims--30 of whom were killed. In 2017, there were 226 shootings with 335 victims and 23 deaths; and in 2016 there were 237 shootings with 331 victims and 23 deaths.
As of early August, we have already surpassed that number with more than 244 shootings and 365 victims (a victim for every single day of the year and there are still three months left to go in 2019.).
Less than a week ago, there was a deadly shooting in Mississauga over the filming of a rap video that left five people injured and one dead--five of the six victims were 17 years old or younger, including the boy who was killed.
In his statement released today, Trudeau was critical of assault weapons being used in many of these shootings--including the recent mass shooting that took place on September 14, in Mississauga. “Too many people have lost loved ones to gun violence. And too often, the culprit is military-style weapons designed to inflict mass human casualties--guns that have no place in Canada,” he said.
Trudeau has pledged to strengthen safe-storage laws, and he said the liberal government will not bring back long-gun registry.
The statement was also critical of Conservative leader Andrew Scheer, claiming: “[His] policy on guns has been written by the powerful gun lobby, and he has an agenda that would make it easier for criminals to get their hands on assault rifles.”
According to Trudeau: “A Liberal government will ban assault weapons in Canada.”
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 17
- BREAKING: Social gathering limits to be lowered in Brampton in response to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Seven of the top 10 most rat-infested cities in Ontario in GTHA
- Brampton issues 63 additional charges for face-covering infractions amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 17
- Justin Trudeau announces ban on military-grade guns in wake of deadly Nova Scotia shooting
- Feds to ban gun used in Montreal massacre, other assault-style rifles
- Justin Trudeau Unveils 2019 Liberal Platform at University of Toronto Mississauga
- Legislation on municipal handgun bans coming, Trudeau says
- Doug Ford takes aim at Trudeau government’s gun control measures