Large cruise ships barred from Canadian waters until end of October
OTTAWA -- The cruise-ship season in Canada is all but sunk as Ottawa extends its ban on large ships in Canadian waters until the end of October in an attempt to contain COVID-19.
Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Thursday (May 28) passenger ships with overnight accommodations for more than 100 people -- including both passengers and crew -- can't operate in Canadian waters until at least Oct. 31.
The move extends and expands an order issued in mid-March that barred ships with more than 500 passengers from Canadian waters until July.
Ships with more than 12 passengers can't go to the Arctic until at least Oct. 31, for fear that one might carry COVID-19 to a remote northern community.
Other than that, after July 1, provincial and regional health officials will decide when and where smaller vessels can operate.
"Keeping Canadians and transportation workers safe continues to be my top priority during the COVID-19 pandemic," Garneau said.
Garneau said he also understands this will create a significant economic hardship for Canada's tourism industry. He indicated the federal tourism department is working on a plan to help.
Last year 140 cruise ships brought more than two million visitors to Canadian ports. A 2016 study found the cruise industry was large and growing, contributing more than $3 billion to Canada's economy, including nearly $1.4 billion in direct spending by cruise lines and their passengers. More than 23,000 Canadians were directly or indirectly employed because of cruise ships.
British Columbia, Quebec and the Atlantic provinces benefit the most.
However, cruise ships were one of the first- and worst-hit sectors from COVID-19 with hundreds of passengers falling ill on ships as they sailed in various parts of the world. Transport Canada monitored hundreds of ships with Canadians on board as they battled outbreaks, or weren't allowed to dock in planned ports as countries closed to foreign tourists to keep COVID-19 out.
Several hundred Canadians were flown back to Canada and quarantined in Trenton, Ont., and Cornwall, Ont. after disembarking ships with outbreaks on them that docked in Japan and California. At least a dozen passengers from the Grand Princess cruise ship were diagnosed with COVID-19 after being quarantined in Trenton. One Canadian passenger who had been on board the Diamond Princess died in Japan in March after being hospitalized with COVID-19.
The Canadian Press
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 25
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 21 to 26
- Ontario reports 435 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- Canada watching 70 cruise ships still sailing with 4,000 Canadians on board
- Plane carrying Canadians from Grand Princess cruise ship arrives in Canada
- Canadian cruisers begin leaving Coral Princess in Florida amid COVID-19 outbreak
- At least 77 Canadians on board cruise ship with COVID-19 cases: Global Affairs
- Japan confirms 12 Canadians on cruise ship infected with coronavirus