Major Upgrades Could be Coming to Recreation Centres in Brampton
Renovating some of Brampton’s old rec centres is long overdue, but it seems like a few of them are set to get some attention in 2018!
It’s an exciting time for Brampton — lots of development is coming to the Flower City, and while the new university, Peel Memorial Phase 2, and Downtown Reimagined have been getting a lot of attention, Brampton’s rec centres have not been forgotten.
Brampton’s 2018-2020 budget is very revealing of our city’s future. In particular, the proposed budget involves big plans for some of Brampton’s beloved rec centres: Balmoral, Chris Gibson, and Howden. Millions of dollars could be invested in these community spaces in Brampton come 2018, pending budget approval.
Here are the exciting details on the City’s plans for the rec centres:
Balmoral Recreation Centre
- $1 million investment
- Expansion from 17,000 sq. ft. to 30,000 sq. ft.
- New indoor gymnasium and meeting spaces
- New, large outdoor splash pad
- Transformed from single/limited use programming to multi-purpose use facility
Chris Gibson Recreation Centre
- $2 million investment
- 55,000 sq. ft. expansion — double current facility size
- Another arena ice pad
- New gymnasium
- Increased programming opportunities
Howden Recreation Centre
- $3 million investment
- Possibly buying more lands for street frontage and demolishing Howden entirely
- Constructing a new 40,000 sq. ft. facility
- Adding 17,000 sq. ft. in recreation space
- New triple gymnasium
- New fitness/studio space
- New multi-purpose rooms to increase programming
Loafer’s Lake Recreation Centre is also set for some upgrades worth $350K in 2018, as the city commences its due diligence process to respond to growth through Loafer’s Lake’s renovation and expansion.
The budget is set to be approved in early December 2017, which is when these improvements will be confirmed.
- A Major Canadian Company Is Moving Into A Single Facility In Brampton
- City Congratulates Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown on Birth of His First Son
- Vehicle Flipped Over in Multi-Vehicle Crash in Brampton
- Police Cruiser Involved in Three-Vehicle Crash in Brampton
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- Brampton's Older Community Centres Are Getting Major Upgrades
- Brampton Community Centres Host Drop-in Fitness Programs for Recreation Month
- Brampton Recreation Centre Set to Close for A Year
- Brampton Releases Exciting New Developments for City Parks and Recreation
- A Popular Golf Club Will be Converted into Brampton's Newest Recreation Centre