Massive Gore Meadows Community Centre and Library Expansion Delayed
Phase one of a brand new community centre and library in northeast Brampton is complete, but the city has announced delays in the completion of the centre’s second phase. When complete, the full site will span about 240 acres and include an outdoor ice facility, a spray pad, and a park rivalling the size of Chinguacousy Park.
The Gore Meadows Community Centre and Library project is situated on a whopping 240 acres of land at The Gore Road and Castlemore Road, extending from The Gore Road east to McVean Drive west, and along Castlemore Road as a southern boundary.
“The City of Brampton has faced challenges on this project that have unfortunately delayed the completion and opening of the facility. The City is taking steps to minimize the delays and recognizes the importance of the Gore Meadows expansion to the community. It is our priority to finish construction as soon as possible,” said the City of Brampton in a statement.
Phase two is the aquatics and fitness part of a multi-year, phased plan to create a 92-acre city-wide park at the corner of Castlemore Road and The Gore Road. For comparison, Chinguacousy Park boasts 100 acres, so it’s evident that this new park will be a massive community space.
Here’s what exactly is in store for Phase two of the project which totals approximately 80,000 square feet of space:
- An eight-lane lap pool
- A leisure pool with special features such as a slide and teaching steps
- A fitness centre with an aerobics and dance area
- A 6,000 square foot equipment field house
- A 246 foot track, where 20 laps are equivalent to one mile
- A brand new spray pad
- An almost 9,000 square foot outdoor skating rink
The project will also seek Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification. The entire project is estimated to cost $37 million.
A revised anticipated opening date has not yet been announced.
We will keep you updated as information becomes available.
All photo renderings courtesy of the City of Brampton
- Driver stopped for going more than double the speed limit in Brampton
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- Houses in Brampton significantly more expensive than they were just one year ago
- Many Canadians concerned about returning to their office
- Ottawa sets minimum unemployment rate at 13.1 per cent for EI calculation
- PHOTOS: A Sneak Peek Inside Gore Meadows Community Centre Phase 2
- Here's What's Happening With the Gore Meadows Community Centre Expansion
- Brampton Fires Contractor After Major Community Centre Expansion Delays
- Brampton's Getting a First of its Kind Outdoor Skating Rink
- Brampton seeking community feedback for City's new massive recreational park