More Grocers May Be Able to Sell Alcohol Come Fall
While selling alcohol at grocery stores has made it more convenient for consumers to purchase beer, cider, and wine, from the business end, the fee to sell alcohol is pricey.
Now, the province has announced legislation that would, if passed in the fall, reduce the regulatory fee required for grocers to sell alcohol.
This price reduction would help small, independent grocers afford to have alcohol available for consumer purchase.
The regulatory fee required to sell beer, cider and wine would be reduced by $2,000 per year, representing 66 percent in savings for qualified businesses.
"We heard from the small business community that the fee to sell alcohol was too high for small grocers. So, we took action," said Minister Responsible for Small Business Jeff Leal.
There are approximately 208 grocery stores authorized to sell beer and cider in Ontario. This includes 44 independent grocers that are eligible for the fee reduction.
While the new legislation introduces a fee reduction for grocers to sell alcohol, it also proposes changes for small businesses in general.
These changes include introducing a preferred procurement policy for small businesses that would help provide better access to government contracts, requiring all ministries to offset every dollar of new administrative costs to business, by removing $1.25 of old and unnecessary costs, and reviewing license and registration fees.
Perhaps cheaper fees will allow more independent grocers in Brampton to sell alcohol, increasing convenience to beer, wine, and cider for consumers.
- Police searching for missing 13-year-old girl from Brampton
- Milton murder victim identified as Brampton teenager
- 112 new cases of COVID-19 reported in Ontario, 25 new cases found in Brampton
- Business owners on their own when it comes to mask bylaw enforcement
- Brampton councillor proposing park name change to honour abolitionists
- Even More Grocery Stores in Brampton Could Soon Sell Beer and Cider
- More Major Grocery Stores Now Sell Beer and Cider in Brampton
- Alcohol Coming to More Big-Name Grocery Stores in Brampton
- Doug Ford Moves Forward on Plan to Sell Alcohol in Corner Stores
- Beer and Cider Coming to More Grocery Stores in Brampton