New Peel Police Report Reveals Concerning Statistics About Crime In Brampton
Peel Police just released their 2018 Annual Report. And, it is revealing many concerning statistics about Brampton and the Peel region.
According to the report, there were 26 homicides victims in the Peel Region, which is an increase of 63% since 2017. There were also 242 victims of stabbing in the year, which is an increase of 55 per cent since 2017. Around 53 people were victims of shootings, which accounts for an increase of 33%.
The police have laid charges for over 43,000 Canadian Criminal Code offences, which is an increase of 7% since 2017. Over 15,600 people were charged during the year, with 11% of those people were between the ages of 12 to 17-years-old.
There have been 9,334 crimes against persons and 28,039 crimes against property during the year of 2018. Examples of crimes against persons are homicides, attempted murder, sexual violations, robberies and threats. Crimes against property are break and enters, theft, arson, fraud and shoplifting.
The report also states that there was a total of 153 crimes involving drugs. Drug crimes are one of the few types of crimes that showed a decrease in that year. There was a decrease of 21% since 2017.
Gun violence has also been a major problem for the Peel Police. In 2018, police seized 459 firearms and investigated 504 potential shootings, which is an increase of 18% since 2017.
In 2018, police also laid 232 charges per day in the Peel Region due to Highway Traffic Act violations. There were also 41 motor vehicle fatalities, which is an increase of 43% since 2017.
The Peel Police also manages over 29,000 prisoners.
The top four issues police responded to in 2018 were family and intimate partner disputes, medical assistance, impaired driving and motor vehicle collisions. The police report that they received over 710,000 calls, an increase of 11% since 2017. They also state that around 200,000 calls were misuse and hang up calls.
Here is a breakdown of the crimes occurred during the past five years:
What do you think of these statistics?
Photos courtesy of Peel Police.
- One Dead and One in Hospital Following a Shooting on the 410 in Brampton
- Massive New Playdium Location Now Open in Brampton
- Brampton Man Celebrating Massive $9 Million Lotto Win
- VIDEO: Innocent Victim of Mass Malton Shooting Identified by Friends
- Police on Scene After Female Critically Injured in Brampton
- Police Report Shows Crime Rates Rising in Brampton
- Peel Police Chief Says Street Check Restrictions Could be Behind Gun Violence Increase
- Peel Police Urging Public To Report Incidents Of Hate Crime In Brampton
- Here's Why Canada's Crime Rate Significantly Increased In 2018
- Here's Why Violent Crime Is On The Rise In Brampton