New skilled trades program to open at Brampton school
Colleges Ontario predicts that the province will suffer a skilled trades shortage of more than 500,000 workers by 2030.
Starting September 2020, Judith Nyman Secondary School in Brampton will be offering the Peel District School Board's Regional Skilled Trades program to students in grade nine in both Brampton and Caledon.
This program will provide students with hands-on learning and the exploration of career opportunities, as well as preparing them to meet the demands of the skilled trades labour force.
It is also offered at West Credit Secondary School in Mississauga.
Adrian Graham, superintendent of curriculum and instruction support services said, “In Peel, our focus is to empower students by providing them with opportunities to develop their skills and pursue their interests while receiving a high-quality education.”
“This is why we’re excited to expand the Regional Skilled Trades program and give students more opportunities to develop hands-on skills required for success in college, apprenticeships and the workplace,” he added.
Students in the program at Judith Nyman will have the opportunity to specialize in a number of trades preparation courses, including construction technology, hospitality and tourism, personal services and transportation technology.
Robert Lompart, principal of Judith Nyman Secondary School said, “We’re excited to open our doors to students interested in the skilled trades and providing them with access to our unique facility that features 15 different industry-standard specialized technology education shops.”
“By partnering with industry partners and colleges, we’re looking forward to showcasing the importance of the skilled trades and preparing students with the hands-on skills, tools, and sector-specific certifications they need once they graduate from the Regional Skilled Trades program,” he added.
Families that are interested in the program are invited to attend the Regional Skilled Trades information night, taking place on October 23, 2019, at Judith Nyman and West Credit.
Applications will open on November 11, 2019, at 8:30 a.m. for secondary Regional Learning Choices Programs and will close on November 25, 2019, at 3:00 p.m.
For more information, click here.
- Salaries for Brampton Employees Expected to Rise 2.7 Per Cent
- Four arrested including two Brampton men after series of overnight robberies
- Man dead after vehicle crashes into pole in Brampton
- BREAKING: First coronavirus patient confirmed at Sunnybrook Hospital
- Various milk products recalled due to sanitizer contamination
- Government to Increase Funding For Students in Trade Skills in Brampton
- School Board Is Launching This New Program To Help Students Living In Poverty
- Grade 10 Students Will Now Learn Financial Literacy At Ontario High Schools
- One-day strike will cause Peel board secondary school closures next week
- Facts you never knew about Peel District School Board students in Brampton